The New Frontier
Black Seminoles work to secure and stablize the region from opposition | Illustration by Lucas Pastorfield-Li
Referred to by many as “The Queen City on the Rio Grande,” Del Rio was founded in 1868 and incorporated in November of 1911. The area grew quickly in the latter part of the 19th century. People were attracted to the wide open spaces, land and water in the region. To this day, over 90 million gallons of natural spring water flow through the area. The Black Seminoles were key members of the community, having stabilized the border town from opposing Natives, who were often involved in raids and battles before, during and shortly after the Civil War.
Learn more about the African-American history of Del Rio by following the link below to read a story by The Whitehead Memorial Museum.